Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Model 14 LF woofer

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BigMikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hello to the board! First time poster here. Just started restoring my first pair of Model 14s. Anyone know where I can obtain a replacement woofer?

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm pretty sure direct replacements are not available.

    Are your woofers missing?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member BigMikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Todd,
    Yes. I have only one. Can you suggest a suitable substitiue? Should I simply purchase a matched set that most closely approximates the original woofer, or maybe improve it?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Model 14 LF woofer


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe some of you younger guys know- doesn't the 14 use a cheaper cast frame unit? I think I recall somebody telling me the same driver was used at the end in the model 15 (originally a stamped frame).


    Are you wanting to stay with the original crossovers?

    I am a fanatic about bi-amping- everything I own (stereo wise) has been bi-amped or better for probably 15 years.

    There is a pair of 414's on EBay but they are 16 ohm. There are also a couple of 8 ohm singles that don't quite match.

    414's would be my first reaction, a better speaker.

    Get some other opinions here. I don't know for sure if the 414's will go in without mods. Just my tendency is wherever possible to upgrade.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member BigMikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hi OG!

    Yes, my plan initially was to use the original XO, but I am however taking the opportunity to upgrade the caps, resistors, and wire. I've never actually heard a pair of model 14s. I just came across whta seemed at he time like a "deal" for a pr. that needed a little "help". I just always wanted a pair of Altecs.

    As far as the 414 woofer, I also wondered how it might work. Being somewhat a neophyte I have no way to know but try it...

    Also, AFAIK, the 14 uses a different woofer from the 15. The one orig I do have is a nice samped piece. Loks like nice quality but it's not oem I belive.

    Thanks for the suggestions!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mike,

    I have a pair of Model 14's, and I happen to think the LF drivers are pretty good, except for the foam surrounds. Mine are NOS, in like new condition, so I have a few years to go.

    Have you measured the O.D. of the Model 14 woofer? Did you notice that it is a little over 13"? I think it would be better to ask here to see if someone would sell you one. I saw a post where a guy made a reducer ring to mount a 12" woofer, but that has it's problems too. Are the 902 HF drivers OK? Those can be easily repaired.

    You could call Gordon Waters at AudioAtlanta and ask about a mate for your LF driver. I live south of Atlanta...

    Richard C.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member BigMikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Richard,

    Yes, I believe that the horns are fine. I was thinking of giving Gordon a call as I have seen his name mentioned favorably both here and at AK...Plus he's local.

    I'd love to find a woofer for sale. Anybody got one for sale? I've been searching ebay, garage sales,& craigslist hoping to get lucky but none so far.

    I live in the Lilburn/Snellville area. Luv to hear a "well" pair of Model 14's...LOL

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I brought my Model 14's to the AK Atlanta get-together in March. I met Gordon and he told me that recone kits were available for the 14's. If you require heavy bass, the Model 14 might not deliver it for you. The crossover is about 2kHz and the woofer is driven full range. They DO have excellent mid-range and blend well with the 931 CD horns, though. I have modeled and than modified my crossovers, to soften the upper mids a little. The stock crossover gave me "listener fatigue", as I don't use tone controls, and I only EQ for room problems. These are my main living room speakers and are as big as I can get away with! I am slowly restoring a pair of Model 19's for the basement room.

    I live in McDonough, so it would be a fair distance for you to drive to hear my 14's.

    Richard C.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have both 14's & 19's, the 14's are great speakers, the 19's are too, but they are not as good as 14's in a smaller room, in a large, say 25'x35' room, the 19's are in their range for the better performance, in a smaller room like 16'x24'the 14's sound wonderful & with a good preamp that has good EQ, & a good power amp, they will go just as low as the 19's, you can take that to the bank.
    Unfortunately, I only have model 15 woofers available, one needs refoaming & the other needs a recone. The thing is, the 14's woofers use a smaller voice coil, so you can't use the basket from the model 15 woofer.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member BigMikeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Bolt!
    Thanks for the info. Your comparison of the model 14 vs 19 is encouraging. My only listening experience with Altecs has been the Model 19's and a pair of 604's an old friend owned. I'm just hoping these will give me close to that sound, and I'll be happy. Just gotta find another woofer! forums

    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.